Pros 09.11.2019 — 18:23 Uhr

Too late for the comeback, FSV lose to Union

The away side always looked sure to win, the Zerofivers missed crucial chances

Mainz fall to an agonising home defeat against FC Union Berlin.

The fight-back at the end went unrewarded: FSV Mainz 05 fell at home to newly-promoted FC Union Berlin, losing by three goals to two. Two goals either side of half time sealed the win for the visitors, who were cruising at 3-0. Mainz got on the board with goals from Karim Onisiwo and Daniel Brosinksi, but it was too little too late.

Sandro Schwarz made two changes to the team that faced RB Leipzig. Ronaël Pierre-Gabriel and Pierre Kunde Malong made way for Daniel Brosinski and Edimilson Fernandes in the starting XI.

Both teams seemed to cancel each other out in an intriguing start to match. The first chance of the game emerged from a large stroke of luck, but Christian Gentner’s shot flew over the bar (15’). A few moments later, it was FSV’s turn to fire it over; Jean-Paul Boëtius’ shot was too high (17’). Then, Ádám Szalai’s powerful shot was saved by the strong hand of Rafal Gikiewicz (20’). The next chance also fell to Mainz. Robin Quaison led the counterattack and delivered the ball into the box but Ridle Baku’s shot curled just wide of the post (28’). The away side then went up the other end and scored. Christopher Trimmel crossed towards Marcus Ingvartsen, Brosinski got to the ball ahead of the Dane but his attempted clearance only ended up in his own net (30’). Quaison couldn’t convert the next big chance and suddenly Mainz were two goals down at half time; Andersson headed Trimmel’s corner home (45+3’).

 Conceded early, late fight-back

The first opportunity of the half fell to Öztunali, who fired over (50’). Moments later, Union scored again; another corner, another header, another Andersson goal (52’). The 3-0 scoreline did not reflect the run of play at all, but the visitors were ruthless in front of goal. Onisiwo was brought on and instantly made an impact. The Austrian broke through the Union defence, but his shot was saved by the Union ‘keeper. Mere seconds later, substitute Alexandru Maxim fired the ball into the side netting (80’).

Mainz finally got on the board with their next attempt. Moussa Niakhaté played in Onisiwo, who prodded it home from ten metres out (81’). In the end though, it was too late for the comeback, Maxim couldn’t convert Szalai’s cross and the game looked all but over. Brosinksi did score a second goal for the home side, but only with one minute left until the final whistle (90+4’). Moments later, the referee blew the final whistle, brining the curtain down on what was ultimately a poor and unnecessary defeat. In two weeks time, Mainz play TSG 1899 Hoffenheim away from home.