Pros 03.04.2022 — 21:06 Uhr

Mainz come away from Gladbach with a point

After trailing at half time, Mainz produced a fantastic second half performance to come away from Mönchengladbach with a point. Onisiwo’s equaliser was his fourth goal of the season.

Mainz’s first game after the international break ended in a 1-1 draw away at Borussia Mönchengladbach. Breel Embolo gave the home side a deserved lead after a period of first-half dominance, a lead which lasted until half time. Mainz came out firing on all cylinders in the second half, creating multiple clear-cut chances, before Karim Onisiwo eventually put the Zerofivers on level terms. Mainz looked the more likely side and would’ve taken all three points if it wasn’t for Yann Sommer’s heroics in the Gladbach goal.

Bo Svensson made three changes from the side that beat Arminia Bielefeld 4-0 a fortnight ago. Anton Stach, fresh from his debut for the German national team, replaced the suspended Dominik Kohr in the middle of the park and Leandro Barreiro and Marcus Ingvartsen came in for Jae-Sung Lee and Jonny Burkardt.

Gladbach start the game brightly

“We still have lots to prove away from home,” said Svensson in the build-up to the game, who’s side came under pressure in the early stages. The hosts were coming into the game off the back of two 2-0 victories and appeared to be full of confidence. Gladbach carved out their first opportunity with just five minutes on the clock, when Embolo got on the end of a Lars Stindl cross after a good passage of play. The Swiss international’s header, however, sailed over the crossbar. Mainz responded with two chances of their own, but Stach (8’) and Ingvartsen (12’) failed to threaten Yann Sommer with their efforts from distance. The Foals created another good opportunity after a quarter of an hour after winning the ball in central midfield. Stefan Lainer dribbled into the Mainz penalty area and played a square pass to Alassane Plea, who failed to provide the finish.

The Foals remained the more likely side but were unable to create too many clear-cut chances against a Mainz side, who were defending resolutely. Kouadio Koné’s shot from distance (18’) and Ramy Bensebaini’s effort (31’) both failed to test Robin Zentner, but the home side took the lead soon after, when they split open Mainz’s defence with a slick move. After a quick combination with Stefan Lainer, Florian Neuhaus found his teammate Embolo in the centre and the Swiss striker found the back of the net with a composed finish (33’). This goal was enough to put Gladbach in front at the break.

Mainz come out fighting in the second half – Onisiwo finds the equaliser

After a weak attacking performance in the first half, Svensson responded by bringing on Jonny Burkardt at half time. The 21-year-old had an instant impact and was involved in Mainz’s best opportunity of the game up until that point. In the 48th minute, after a quickly taken free kick, Barreiro found himself in on goal and his shot rattled the post. The ball rebounded to Burkardt who looked certain to give Mainz the lead. Sommer had other ideas and pulled out a superb reaction save to keep his side in front. The home side created a couple of chances of their own just minutes later, but Embolo’s ambitious scissor kick (52’) and Ginter’s header (54’) failed to threaten Zentner. Mainz, however, were now the much more energetic side and continued to press for the equaliser.

Jonny Burkardt found himself in a good position in the 71st minute but his effort was put just wide of the goal and it looked as though it may not be Mainz’s day. However, just two minutes later, the Zerofivers were able to celebrate the equaliser. The substitute Jae-Sung Lee received the ball in the middle of the park and played a pass through to Onisiwo, who was coming in from the right. The Austrian remained cool in front of goal and put the ball past Sommer (73’) to score his fourth of the season. Mainz didn’t rest on their laurels and continued to push for the winner. Shortly before the final whistle, Mainz looked as though they had finally found the goal that would give them the three points, when Burkardt got on the end of Aarón’s cross. Yann Sommer however brilliantly kept out the 21-year-old’s effort and also made a great save from Lee’s subsequent header. This was the last real action of the game and it ended 1-1.

Mainz’s busy schedule continues with a trip to FC Augsburg on Wednesday evening (18:30 CEST), followed by a visit to FC Köln on Saturday (15:30 CEST).