Pros 11.09.2021 — 19:51 Uhr


Mainz defeats Hoffenheim and celebrates first away win of the season in Kraichgau with 650 supporters


Thanks to a mature performance in all respects, Mainz 05 deservedly picked up points seven to nine at TSG 1899 Hoffenheim on Saturday afternoon. Jonny Burkardt scored before the break and newcomer Marcus Ingvartsen 78 seconds after coming on as a substitute in the closing stages to seal the 2-0 (1-0) win in Kraichgau. The Mainz team celebrated their first away win of the season with the 650 or so fans who had travelled with them and were back on the pitch for the first time in a year and a half - the icing on the cake of a successful business trip to Kraichgau.

Bo Svensson made one change from the home win over Greuther Fürth. Karim Onisiwo was preferred to Ádám Szalai alongside Jonny Burkardt. In addition, Niklas Tauer and newcomer Ingvartsen joined the squad in place of Paul Nebel (U23 call-up and goalscorer) and Aarón Martín (groin problems), but were initially on the bench.

Burkardt in centre-forward style

An intense duel developed with many duels between the two penalty areas. For the first time, Onisiwo had a glimpse of a goal threat when his cross landed on the outside of the net after just seven minutes. The first danger in the visitors penalty area came a little later when the Zerofivers combined forces to save against Andrej Kramaric and Jacob Bruun Larsen (11'). Nevertheless, it was Mainz who increasingly put their stamp on the match and came close to scoring. First Jean-Paul Boëtius served Leandro Barreiro, who was stopped just outside the penalty area, a free-kick would not have been unjustified (15'). However, a free-kick was awarded three minutes later after a foul on Burkardt from a similar position: Jeremiah St. Juste took the set-piece from 17 metres and forced Baumann into a strong reflex save (18'). Although the following corner kick was useless, FSV's next chance was a real hit. Kohr ran down a Hoffenheim mispass in the centre, shifted quickly and served Burkardt, who did not take long to score the deserved lead - 1-0 (21').

The hosts, who had a hard time dealing with the poisonous Mainz team, had their first real chance a little later through Bruun Larsen - outside the net (24'). Nevertheless, Robin Zentner remained almost unemployed until half-time, because Burkardt and Onisiwo, supported by Barreiro, Kohr and Boëtius, aggressively disrupted TSG's build-up play time and again. A look at the statistics at the break underpinned the highly deserved lead: eight shots on goal to three in favour of the Zerofivers spoke just as clear a language as the more than 60 per cent of duels won. The only downer of the first half was the injury-related substitution of Moussa Niakhaté, who was replaced by Alexander Hack.

Hoffenheim press, sub Ingvartsen strikes

At the start of the second half, TSG were initially more pressured, but it was again the Zerofivers who had the first opportunity when Barreiro tested Baumann with a powerful attempt from 20 metres and the TSG goalkeeper needed both fists to save the ball (51'). On the opposite side, Bruun Larsen put his header from five metres just beside the right post (55'). Six minutes later, Kramaric's free-kick from the edge of the box sailed relatively clear of the Mainz goal (61'). Shortly before, Svensson had made a second substitution, sending on the ex-Hoffenheim Szalai for Onisiwo in order to secure balls up front.

The pressure of the hosts from the minutes after the restart now eased again, FSV shifted to switching actions and defended the offensive efforts of TSG stably into the final phase, mostly successfully closing down the passing lanes. The 05 head coach then made the last three changes in minute 76 and proved to have a golden touch.

Ingvartsen is there immediately

Anton Stach, Ingvartsen and Jae-sung Lee had just replaced Barreiro, Burkardt and Boëtius, when the newcomer from Fürth served the new man from Union Berlin, who kept his cool, showed his composure and was able to celebrate his first goal in a Mainz shirt after just 60 seconds - 2-0 (77'). The subs had delivered and also played their part in the rest of the game in ensuring that there was hardly anything left to burn in the FSV penalty area. In fact, the Dane could have scored a brace in injury time when he just missed a pass from St. Juste. However, the missed chance had no influence on the outcome of the game. A little later it was over. After four match days, the Mainz team now has a convincing nine points. One of the trump cards remains the defence, which has only conceded two goals in 360 minutes so far.